The Applied Physics Division
+30 2610 997549
UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE STUDIES
1. BA in Physics, University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1994.
2. Master Degree in Environmental and Atmospheric Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1996.
3. Ph.D. in Atmospheric Physics, University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1999-2004
1. Assistant Professor, Physics Deprtment, University of Patras, Greece (2009-…)
2. Research scientist in the Laboratory of Atmospheric Physics (1994-1996, 2000-2009)
3. Meteorologist (as an weather observer) at the Hellenic National Meteorological Service (1996-1998)
MEMBERSHIP WITH SCIENTIFIC SOCIETITY
1. Member, Union of Greek Physicists
2. Member of the Master degree Environmental Physics union
3. Member of the American Geophysical Union
4. Member of the European Geophysical Union
5. Member of the European Society for Photobiology
6. Member of the COST726 action, Long term changes and climatology of UV radiation over Europe”, 2004-2009.
PARTICIPATION IN EXPERIMENTAL CAMPAIGNS
1. Campaign of the PAUR project, Ag. Efstratios, Greece, 6-20 June 1996.
2. Fourth European Intercomparison of Ultraviolet Spectroradiometers, 1-13 July 1997, Nea Michaniona, Greece.
3. Biodos Campaigns of biological dosimeters, 1-15 August 1996, Hungary and 15-22 July 1997, Nea Michaniona, Greece.
4. Campaign of the ADMIRA project, N. Michaniona, Greece, 1-15 August 2000
5. Inspectro Campaign, East Anglia UK August 28- September 28 2002.
6. International experiment of solar irradiance measurements during the total solar eclipse of 29 March 2006, Greece.
7. SCOUT-O3 ultraviolet radiation and aerosols campaign, 12-16 July 2006, Thessaloniki, Greece.
8. Measurements of solar irradiance, total ozone and aerosols for the validation of OMI instrument , September-October 2007, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- De Backer, H., P. Koepke, A. Bais, X. de Cabo,T. Frei, D. Gillotay, C. Haite, A. Heikkilα, A. Kazantzidis, T. Koskela, E. Kyrφ, B. Lapeta, J. Lorente, K. Masson, B. Mayer, H. Plets, A. Redondas, A. Renaud, G. Schauberger, A. Schmalwieser, H. Schwander and K. Vanicek, Comparison of measured and modelled UV indices for the assessment of health risks, Meteorological Applications, vol. 8, 267-277, 2001
- A. Kazantzidis, D. S. Balis, A. F. Bais, S. Kazadzis, E. Galani, E. Kosmidis and M. Blumthaler, Comparison of model calculations with spectral UV measurements during the SUSPEN campaign: the effect of aerosols, Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 1529-1539, 2001
- A.R.Webb, A.F.Bais, M.Blumthaler, G-P. Gobbi, A.Kylling, R.Schmitt, S.Thiel, F.Barnaba, T. Danielsen, W.Junkermann, A.Kazantzidis, P.Kelly, R.Kift, G.L.Liberti, M.Misslbeck, B.Schallhart, J.Schreder, and C.Topaloglou, Measuring Spectral Actinic Flux and Irradiance: Experimental Results from the Actinic Flux Determination from Measurements of Irradiance (ADMIRA) project, ournal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, vol. 19, 1049-1062, 2002
- A. Kylling, A. R. Webb, A. F. Bais, M. Blumthaler, R. Schmitt, S. Thiel, A. Kazantzidis, R. Kift, M. Misslbeck, B. Schallart, J. Shreder, C. Topaloglou, S. Kazadzis and J. Rimmer, Actinic flux determination from measurements of irradiance, Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 108, No D16, 4506, 2003
- D.S. Balis, V. Amiridis, C. Zerefos, E. Gerasopoulos, M. Andreae,P. Zanis, A. Kazantzidis, S. Kazadzis and A. Papayannis, Raman lidar and sunphotometric measurements of aerosol optical properties over Thessaloniki, Greece during biomass burning episode, Atmospheric Enviroment, vol. 37, 4529-4538, 2003
- S. Kazadzis, C. Topaloglou, A.F. Bais, M. Blumthaler, D. Balis, A. Kazantzidis, B. Schallhart,, Actinic flux and O1 photolysis frequencies retrieved from spectral measurements of irradiance at Thessaloniki, Greece , Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 4, 2215-2226, 2004
- D. S. Balis, V. Amiridis, C. Zerefos, A. Kazantzidis, S. Kazadzis, A. F. Bais, C. Meleti, A. Papayannis, V. Matthias, and H. Dier, Study of the effect of different type of aerosols on UV-B radiation from measurements during EARLINET, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics., 4, 1-15, 2004
- A.F. Bais, A. Kazantzidis, S. Kazadzis, D. Balis,C. S. Zerefos, C.Meleti, Deriving an effective aerosol single scattering albedo from spectral surface UV irradiance measurements, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 39, 1093-1102, 2005
- Α. Kazantzidis, A.F. Bais, D.S. Balis, E. Kosmidis and C.S. Zerefos, Sensitivity of solar UV radiation to ozone and temperature profiles at Thessaloniki (40.5 N, 23 E), Greece, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, vol. 67, 1321–1330, 2005
- Α. Kazantzidis, A. F. Bais, J. Grobner, J. R. Herman, S. Kazadzis,1N. Krotkov, E. Kyro, P. N. den Outer, K. Garane, P. Gorts, K. Lakkala, C. Meleti, H. Slaper, R. B. Tax, T. Turunen and C. S. Zerefos, Comparison of satellite-derived UV irradiances with ground-based measurements at four European stations, Journal of Geophysical Research, 111, D13207, 2006
- K. Garane, A. F. Bais, S. Kazadzis, A. Kazantzidis and C. Meleti, Monitoring of UV spectral irradiance at Thessaloniki (1990–2005): data re-evaluation and quality control, Annales Geophysicae, 24, 1-14, 2006
- Zerefos C.S., V. T. Gerogiannis, D. Balis, S. C. Zerefos, and A. Kazantzidis, Atmospheric effects of volcanic eruptions as seen by famous artists and depicted in their paintings, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 7, 4027-4042, 2007
- A. Kazantzidis, A. F. Bais, C. Emde, S. Kazadzis, and C. S. Zerefos, Attenuation of global ultraviolet and visible irradiance over Greece during the total solar eclipse of 29 March 2006, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 7, 5959-5969, 2007
- Kazadzis S., A. Bais, M. Blumthaler, A. Webb, N. Kouremeti, R. Kift, B. Schallhart and A. Kazantzidis, Effects of total solar eclipse of 29 March 2006 on surface radiation, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 7, 5775-5783, 2007
- U. Feister, J. Junk, M. Woldt, A. Bais, A. Helbig, M. Janouch, W. Josefsson, A. Kazantzidis, A. Lindfors, P. N. den Outer, and H. Slaper, Long-term solar UV radiation reconstructed by ANN modelling with emphasis on spatial characteristics of input data, tmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 8, 3107-3118, 2008
- S. Kazadzis, N. Kouremeti, A.F. Bais, A. Kazantzidis, Aerosol forcing efficiency in the UVA region from spectral solar irradiance measurements at an urban environment, Annales Geophysicae, 27, 2515-2522, 2009
- A. Kazantzidis, A. F. Bais, M.M. Zempila, S. Kazadzis, P.N. den Outer, T. Koskela and H. Slaper, Calculations of the human vitamin D exposure from UV spectral measurements at three European stations, Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 8, 45-51, 2009
- K. Tourpali, A. F. Bais, A. Kazantzidis, C. S. Zerefos, H. Akiyoshi, J. Austin, C. Bruhl, N. Butchart, M. P. Chipperfield, M. Dameris, M. Deushi, V. Eyring, M. A. Giorgetta, D. E. Kinnison, E. Mancini, D. R. Marsh, T. Nagashima, G. Pitari, D. A. Plummer, E. Rozanov, K. Shibata, and W. Tian, Clear sky UV simulations in the 21st century based on ozone and temperature projections from Chemistry-Climate Models, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics., 9, 1165-1172, 2009
- A. Kazantzidis, A. F. Bais, M.M. Zempila, C. Meleti, K. Eleftheratos, C.S. Zerefos, Evaluation of ozone column measurements over Greece with NILU-UV multi-channel radiometers, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 30, 4273-4281, 2009
- S. Kazadzis, A.F. Bais, D. Balis, N. Kouremeti, M.M. Zempila, A. Arola, E. Giannakaki, V. Amiridis, A. Kazantzidis, Spatial and temporal UV irradiance and aerosol variability within the area of an OMI satellite pixel, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 9, 4593-4601, 2009
- den Outer, P. N., Slaper, H., Kaurola, J., Lindfors, A., Kazantzidis, A., Bais, A. F., Feister, U., Junk, J., Janouch, M., Josefsson, W., Reconstructing of erythemal radiation levels in Europe for the last 4 decades, Journal of Geophysical Research, 115, D10102, 2010
- A. Kazantzidis, K. Tourpali, A. F. Bais, Variability of cloud-free ultraviolet dose rates on global scale due to modeled scenarios of future ozone recovery, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 86(1), 117-122, 2010
- A. Kazantzidis, K. Eleftheratos, C.S. Zerefos, Effects of cirrus cloudiness on solar irradiance in four spectral bands, Atmospheric Research, 102, 452–459, 2011
- A. F. Bais, K. Tourpali, A. Kazantzidis, H. Akiyoshi, S. Bekki, P. Braesicke, M. P. Chipperfield, M. Dameris, V. Eyring, H. Garny, D. Iachetti, P. Jöckel, A. Kubin, U. Langematz, E. Mancini, M. Michou, O. Morgenstern, T. Nakamura, P. A. Newman, G. Pitari, D. A. Plummer, E. Rozanov, T. G. Shepherd, K. Shibata, W. Tian, and Y. Yamashita, Projections of UV radiation changes in the 21st century: impact of ozone recovery and cloud effects, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11, 7533–7545, 2011
- A. Kazantzidis, P. Tzoumanikas, A.F. Bais. S. Fotopoulos, G. Economou, Cloud detection and classification with the use of whole-sky ground-based images, Atmospheric Research, 113, 80-88, 2012
- E. Nikitidou and A. Kazantzidis, On the differences of ultraviolet and visible irradiance calculations in the Mediterranean basin due to model- and satellite-derived climatologies of aerosol optical properties, International Journal of Climatology, doi:10.1002/joc.3638, 2012
- A. Zagouras, A. Kazantzidis, E. Nikitidou, A.A. Argiriou, Determination of measuring sites of solar irradiance, based on cluster analysis of satellite-derived cloud estimations, Solar Energy, 97, 1-11, 2013
- A. van Dijk, H. Slaper. P.N. den Outer, O. Morgensten, P. Braesicke, J.A. Pyle, H. Garny, A. Stenke, M. Dameris, A. Kazantzidis, K. Tourpali, A.F. Bais, , Skin cancer risks avoided by the Montreal Protocol-worldwide modeling integrating coupled climate-chemistry models with a risk model for UV, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 89, 234-246, 2013
- E. Nikitidou, A. Kazantzidis, V. De Bock, H. De Backer, The aerosol forcing efficiency in the UV region and the estimation of single scattering albedo at a typical West European site, Atmospheric Environment, 69, 313-320, 2013
- L. Vuilleumier, M. Hauser, C. Félix, F. Vignola, P. Blanc, A. Kazantzidis, B. Calpini, Accuracy of ground surface broadband shortwave radiation monitoring, Journal of Geophysical Research, 10.1002/2014JD022335, 2014
- M.C. Kotti, A.A. Argiriou, A. Kazantzidis, Estimation of direct normal irradiance from measured global and corrected diffuse horizontal irradiance, Energy, 70, 382-392, 2014
- 30. Further evidence of important environmental information content in red-to-green ratios as depicted in paintings by great masters, Further evidence of important environmental information content in red-to-green ratios as depicted in paintings by great masters, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14, 2987-3-15, 2014
- E. Nikitidou, A. Kazantzidis, V. Salamalikis, The aerosol effect on direct normal irradiance in Europe under clear skies, Renewable Energy, 68, 475-484, 2014
- A. Kazantzidis, A. Smedley, R. Kift, J. Rimmer, J.L. Berry, L.E. Rhodes, A.R. Webb, A modelling approach to determine how much UV radiation is available across UK and Ireland for health risk and benefit studies, Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 14, 1073-1081, 2015
- K. D. Cashman, A. Kazantzidis, A.R. Webb, and M. Kiely, An Integrated Predictive Model of Population Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D for Application in Strategy Development for Vitamin D Deficiency Prevention, The Journal of Nutrition, doi: 10.3945/jn.115.217968, 2015
- S. Wacker, J. Groebner, C. Zysset, L. Diener, P. Tzoumanikas, A. Kazantzidis, L. Vuilleumier, R. Stockli, S. Nyeki, N. Kampfe, Cloud observations in Switzerland using hemispherical sky cameras, Journal of Geophysical Research, 120(2), 695-707, 2015
- E. Nikitidou, A. Kazantzidis, P.Tzoumanikas, V. Salamalikis, A.F. Bais, Retrieval of surface solar irradiance, based on satellite-derived cloud information, in Greece, Energy, 90, 776-783, 2015
- E. Proestakis, S. Kazadzis, K. Lagouvardos, V. Kotroni, A. Kazantzidis, 40. Lightning activities and aerosols in the Mediterranean region, Atmospheric Research, 170, 66-75, 2016
- P. Tzoumanikas, E. Nikitidou, A.F. Bais, A. Kazantzidis, 41. The effect of clouds on surface solar irradiance, based on data from an all-sky imaging system, Renewable Energy, 95, 314-322, 2016
- I. Kioutsioukis, A. de Meij, H. Jakobs, E. Katragkou, J.F. Vinuesa, A. Kazantzidis, High resolution WRF ensemble forecasting for irrigation: multi-variable evaluation, Atmospheric Research, 167, 156-174, 2016
- M.M. Zempila, T.M. Giannaros, A.F. Bais, D. Melas. A. Kazantzidis, Εvaluation of WRF shortwave radiation parameterizations in predicting Global Horizontal Irradiance in Greece, Renewable Energy, 86, 831-840, 2016