The Applied Physics Division
+30 2610 996793
Dr George Leftheriotis is associate professor in Renewable Energy Sources, at the Department of Physics, University of Patras.
He studied Physics at the University of Patras and was awarded the BSc degree in 1987. Having received an EU grant, he carried out postgraduate studies in the field of Wind Energy at Warwick University, UK. He received the MSc degree in Engineering (by research, with distinction) in 1989 with a thesis focused on the use of leading edge vortices produced by slender delta wings as wind power augmenters. In 1992 he received the PhD degree in Engineering with a thesis concerning the design of wind turbines to operate within the delta wing vortices.
During the period 1995-2009 he has worked as a research fellow at the Energy and Environment Laboratory of Physics Department, University of Patras, taking part in five European research projects (Joule, Energie 4, TMR-LSF) and in more than ten national projects. In 2009 he obtained his present position.
During the last decade his research interests have switched to the development of materials and devices for renewable energy applications, such as low-e coatings, photovoltaics and electrochromics. He has worked on the production of novel materials and devices with vacuum and chemical techniques and on their optical, electrical and electrochemical characterization.
His research activity has led to the publication of 49 papers in refereed international journals, 37 contributions to international conferences and 40 to national conferences. He has contributed to the writing of chapters in three review books on renewable energy and chromogenic materials. He has about 1300 citations (H-index 21).
BSc in Physics. University of Patras, Greece, Sept. 1983- Sept. 1987.
MSc (by research, with distinction) in Engineering. University of Warwick, UK, Jan. 1988- May. 1989.
Research field: Wind Energy
PhD in Engineering. University of Warwick, UK, Jan. 1990- Aug. 1992.
Research field: Wind Energy
As of 3-3-2016: Associate Professor, Physics Department, University of Patras, Greece.
18-9-2009 to 3-3-2016: Assistant Professor, Physics Department, University of Patras, Greece.
5-6-2001 to 18-9-2009: Region of Western Greece, licencing or Renewable Energy projects.
1-2-1996 to 5-6-2001: Post-doctoral researcher, Physics Department, University of Patras, Greece.
Publications in peer reviewed journals: 49
Monographs: 2 (MSc, PhD Theses)
Book chapters: 3
International Conference papers: 37
Reviewer of 25 International Journals
- G. Leftheriotis and C. G. Carpenter, Development of a procedure for the design of a wind turbine to operate in the vortex field generated by a slender delta wing, Wind Engineering, 14 , 153, 1990
- G. Leftheriotis and C. G. Carpenter, Investigation of the vortex field generated by a slender delta wing, Wind Engineering, 14, 141, 1990
- G. Leftheriotis and C. G. Carpenter, Investigation of Reynolds number effects on the design of a delta wing vortex wind turbine, Wind Engineering, 15 , 8, 1991
- G. Leftheriotis and C. G. Carpenter, Investigation of the delta wing- turbine system suitability for large scale applications, Wind Engineering, 15 , 16, 1991
- G. Leftheriotis and C. G. Carpenter, Development of a wind turbine to operate in the vortex filed generated by a slender delta wing, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 39 , 417, 1992
- G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, D. Patrikios, Deposition and optical properties of optimised ZnS/Ag/ZnS thin films for energy saving applications, Thin Solid Films, 306 , 92, 1997
- S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, Electrochromic phenomena in transition metal oxide thin films prepared by thermal evaporation, Ionics, 4 , 321, 1998
- P. W. Griffiths, M. Di Leo, P. Cartwright, P. C. Eames, P. Yianoulis, G. Leftheriotis and B. Norton, Fabrication of evacuated glazing at low temperatures, Solar Energy, 63 , 243, 1998
- G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, Characterisation and stability of low emittance multiple coatings for glazings applications, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 58 , 185, 1999
- S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis and P. Yianoulis, Study of electrochromic incorporating WO3, MoO3, WO3-MoO3 and V2O5 coatings, Thin Solid Films, 343-344 , 180, 1999
- G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou, P. Yianoulis, Development of multilayer transparent conductive coatings, Solid State Ionics, 136-137 , 655, 2000
- G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou, P. Yianoulis, Integrated low emittance-electrochromic devices incorporating ZnS/Ag/ZnS coatings as transparent conductors, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 61 , 107, 2000
- G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, Thermal properties of building materials evaluated by a dynamic simulation of a test cell, Solar Energy, 69 , 295, 2000
- S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, Advanced electrochromic devices based on WO3 thin films, Electrochimica Acta, 46 , 2145, 2001
- A. Siokou , G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou, P. Yianoulis, Effect of the tungsten and molybdenum oxidation states on the thermal coloration of amorphous WO3 and MoO3 films, Surface Science, 482-5 , 294, 2001
- G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou, P. Yianoulis, A. Siokou, Effect of the tungsten oxidation states in the thermal coloration and bleaching of amorphous WO3 films, Thin Solid Films, 384 , 298, 2001
- S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis and P. Yianoulis, Study of WO3 films with textured surfaces for improved electrochromic performance, Solid State Ionics, 139 , 135, 2001
- G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou, P. Yianoulis, A. Siokou, D. Kefalas, Structural and electrochemical properties of opaque sol–gel deposited WO3 layers, Applied Surface Science, 218 , 275, 2003
- A. Siokou, S. Ntais, S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis and P. Yianoulis, Influence of the substrate on the electrochromic characteristics of lithiated α-WO3 layers, Surface Science, 566–568 , 1168, 2004
- G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou and P. Yianoulis, The effect of water on the electrochromic properties of WO3 films prepared by vacuum and chemical methods, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 83 , 115, 2004
- S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, T.J. Hyde, P.C. Eames, Y. Fang, P.-Y. Pennarun, P. Jannasch, Development of electrochromic evacuated advanced glazing, Energy and Buildings, 38 , 1455, 2006
- A. Siokou, S. Ntais, V. Dracopoulos, S. Papaefthimiou, G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, Substrate related structural, electronic and electrochemical properties of evaporated CeOx ion storage layers, Thin Solid Films, 514 , 87, 2006
- G. Leftheriotis, S. Papaefthimiou , P. Yianoulis, Dependence of the estimated diffusion coefficient of LixWO3 films on the scan rate of cyclic voltammetry experiments, Solid State Ionics, 178 , 259, 2007
- G. Leftheriotis and P. Yianoulis , Development of electrodeposited WO3 films with modified surface morphology and improved electrochromic properties, Solid State Ionics 179 , 2192, 2008
- G. Leftheritotis, G. Syrrokostas, P. Yianoulis, Development of photoelectrochromic devices for dynamic solar control in buildings, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 94 , 2304, 2010
- M. Giannouli, G. Leftheriotis, The effect of precursor aging on the morphology and electrochromic performance of electrodeposited tungsten oxide films, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 95, 1932, 2011
- G. Syrrokostas, A. Siokou, G. Leftheriotis and P. Yianoulis, Degradation mechanisms of Pt counter electrodes for dye sensitized solar cells, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 103, 119, 2012
- G. Leftheritotis, G. Syrrokostas, P. Yianoulis, Partly covered photoelectrochromic devices with enhanced coloration speed and efficiency, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 96, 86, 2012
- G. Leftheriotis, E. Koubli, P. Yianoulis, Combined electrochromic-transparent conducting coatings consisting of noble metal, dielectric and WO3 multilayers, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 116 , 110, 2013
- G. Leftheriotis, G. Syrrokostas and P. Yianoulis, Photocoloration efficiency and stability of photoelectrochromic devices, Solid State Ionics 231 , 30, 2013
- G. Leftheriotis, M. Liveri, M. Galanopoulou, I. D. Manariotis, P. Yianoulis, A simple method for the fabrication of WO3 films with electrochromic and photo catalytic properties, Thin Solid Films 573 , 6-13, 2014
- G. Syrrokostas, G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis , Effect of acidic additives on the structure and performance of TiO2 films prepared by a commercial nanopowder for dye-sensitized solar cells, Renewable Energy 72 , 164-173, 2014
- Y. Tripanagnostopoulos, G. Leftheriotis, A. Vradis, D. Anastasopoulos, N. Spiliopoulos, P. Priftis, I. Manariotis, P. Lianos, E. Stathatos, Solar energy materials and systems for and aesthetic and sustainable future, Contemporary Materials V-2 , 172 -185, 2014
- E. Koubli, S. Tsakanikas, G. Leftheriotis, G. Syrrokostas, P. Yianoulis, Optical properties and stability of near-optimum WO3/Ag/WO3 multilayers for electrochromic applications, Solid State Ionics 272 , 30-38, 2015
- G. Syrrokostas, G. Leftheriotis, P. Yianoulis, Performance and stability of“partly covered”photoelectrochromic devices for energy saving and power production, Solid State Ionics 277, 11-22, 2015
- F. Bella, G. Leftheriotis, G. Griffini, G. Syrrokostas, S. Turri, M. Grätzel, C. Gerbaldi, A new design paradigm for smart windows: Photocurable polymers for quasi-solid photoelectrochromic devices with excellent long-term stability under real outdoor operating conditions, Advanced Functional Materials 26, 1127–1137, 2016
- A.I. Dounis, G. Leftheriotis, S. Stavrinidis G. Syrrokostas, Electrochromic Device Modeling Using an Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System: A Model-free Approach, Energy and Buildings 110 , 182–194, 2016
- L. Sygellou, S. Kakogianni, A. K. Andreopoulou, K. Theodosiou, G. Leftheriotis, J. K.Kallitsis, A.Siokou, Evaluation of the electronic properties of perfluorophenyl functionalized quinolines and their hybrids with carbon nanostructures, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 18, 4154 – 4165, 2016
- A. Antonelou, G.Syrrokostas, L. Sygellou, G. Leftheriotis, V. Dracopoulos, S. N. Yannopoulos, Facile, substrate-scale growth of mono- and few-layer homogeneous MoS2 films on Mo foils with enhanced catalytic activity as counter electrodes in DSS, Nanotechnology 27 , 045404 (11pp), 2016
- M. Giannouli, G.Tziogkidou, G. Leftheriotis, Co-sensitization of ZnO Solar Cells by Organic Dyes, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 9, 013503, 2017
- D. Papathanasopoulos, G. Leftheriotis, E. Mitronikas , Design, fabrication and testing of an electronic device for the automatic control of electrochromic windows, Journal of Building Engineering 12 , 248–258, 2017
- A. Dokouzis, K. Theodosiou, G. Leftheriotis , Assessment of the long-term performance of partly covered photoelectrochromic devices under insolation and in storage, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 182 , 281-293 , 2018
- G. Syrrokostas, A. Antonelou, G. Leftheriotis, S. N. Yannopoulos, Electrochemical properties and long-term stability of molybdenum disulfide and platinum counter electrodes for solar cells: A comparative study, Electrochimica Acta 267, 110-121, 2018
- M. Giannouli, K. Govatsi, G. Syrrokostas, S. N. Yannopoulos, G. Leftheriotis, Factors Affecting the Power Conversion Efficiency in ZnO DSSCs: Nanowire vs. Nanoparticles, Materials 11, 411-428, 2018 Invited contribution
- P. Giannopoulos, D. Raptis, K. Theodosiou, A. K. Andreopoulou, C. Anastasopoulos, A. Dokouzis, G. Leftheriotis, P. Lianos, J. K. Kallitsis, Organic dyes end-capped with perfluorophenyl anchors: Synthesis, electrochemical properties and assessment of sensitization capacity of titania photoanodes, Dyes and Pigments 148, 167-179, 2018
- G. Syrrokostas, K. Govatsi, G. Leftheriotis, S. N. Yannopoulos , 3D structured counter electrodes for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells based on Pt-decorated ZnO nanowires, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry 835 , 86–95 , 2019
- G. Syrrokostas, G. Leftheriotis, S. N. Yannopoulos , Double-layered zirconia films for carbon-based mesoscopic perovskite solar cells and photodetectors, Journal of Nanomaterials , Article ID 8348237 , 2019
- Κ. Theodosiou, A. Dokouzis, I. Antoniou, G. Leftheriotis , Gel electrolytes for partly covered photoelectrochromic devices, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 202, 110124, 2019
- A. Dokouzis, F. Bella, K. Theodosiou, C. Gerbaldi, G. Leftheriotis , Photoelectrochromic devices with cobalt redox electrolytes, Materials Today Energy 15 , 100365, 2020
- J. Zhang, J. Yang, G. Leftheriotis, H. Huang, Y. Xia, C. Liang, Y. Gan, W. Zhang, Integrated photo-chargeable electrochromic energy-storage devices” Electrochimica Acta 345 (2020) 136235
- A. Dokouzis, D. Zoi, G. Leftheriotis, Photoelectrochromic devices with enhanced power conversion efficiency” Materials 13 (2020) 2565 Invited contribution
- G. Syrrokostas, A. Dokouzis, S. N. Yannopoulos, G. Leftheriotis, Novel photoelectrochromic devices incorporating carbon-based perovskite solar cells” Nano Energy 77 (2020) 105243
- L. Lavagna, G. Syrrokostas, L. Fagiolari, J. Amici, C. Francia, S. Bodoardo, G. Leftheriotis, F. Bella, Platinum-free photoelectrochromic devices working with copper-based electrolytes for ultrastable smart windows” Journal of Materials Chemistry A 9 (2021) 19687–19691
- Z. Liu, J. Yang, G. Leftheriotis, H. Huang, Y. Xia, Y. Gan, W. Zhang, J. Zhang A solar-powered multifunctional and multimode electrochromic smart window based on WO3/Prussian blue complementary structure” Sustainable Materials and Technologies, 31 (2022) e00372